Welcome
Welcome to MicroAPL's Support Forum for APLX.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

r support

Forum for discussion about the public beta of APLX Version 5 [Now closed]

r support

Postby vahanju » Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:47 pm

I thank MicroApl for the promised new R-support.

I tried aplx5beta and its r-support in my windows xp and windows vista computers.
When I tried initializing r using apl commands

r„'r' Œnew 'r'
my computer "Could not load library for architecture 'r' "
What should I do in order to get r support available from aplx5beta?

I have used R for a long time from aplx4 using (D)COM Server.

By the way: what is the difference between the new R support and the old one whichs seems to work ok in aplx5beta?
vahanju

Re: r support

Postby MicroAPL » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:29 am

The most likely cause of the error message is the R DLL not being found in the search path. You need to make sure that the file 'R.dll' is installed on you system, and that the Windows search path includes the directory where it is located. This is usually:

C:\Program Files\R\R-N.N.N\bin

where N.N.N is the version number of R.

Although, as you say, previous versions of APLX could access R using COM, the new interface provides a much cleaner syntax, is easier to use, should be more efficient, allows you to have APL arrays containing special data types such as NA and NAN, supports complex numbers much more easily, and provides much better access to R special data structures such as frames and factors.

Simon Marsden gave a talk on the new R interface at the BAPLA conference earlier this month, and a recording of this should be on-line shortly. We'll post the link here when it is available.
MicroAPL
Site Admin

Postby vahanju » Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:46 pm

Thank you for your help. I finally found how to set up windows search path. After changing the search path. using r from aplx v5 was ok.
:)
vahanju

Postby PGilbert » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:03 am

Is the following code should work or it's only with the search path that we can direct []NEW to the location of r.dll ? What about []SETUP 'using' is this also could be used ?

'r' ŒNEW 'r,C:\Program Files\R\R-N.N.N\bin\r.dll'

Regards,

Pierre Gilbert
PGilbert

Postby MicroAPL » Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:29 am

No, it has to be set up in the Windows search path because otherwise the DLL won't load. It is too late by the time ŒNEW or ŒSETUP gets to run.
MicroAPL
Site Admin

Return to APLX Version 5 Beta

suspicion-preferred